What is required before I rent my property?

Side Image
Side Image

Regulations Covering Rented Properties

If you are planning to let a private residential property you will need to comply with all the regulations covering rental properties, including:

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

Landlord are required to have a valid EPC when they market their rental properties. An EPC is valid for ten years. The landlord has to pay for the EPC and an electronic copy is provided which can be uploaded to our listing page. .

We can organise an EPC assessment for properties throughout the UK for £65.00.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

For all rental properties, these regulations require that work to gas appliances and fittings must be carried out by a competent and suitably qualified engineer who is CORGI (Council for Registered Gas Installers) registered. The gas appliances must be inspected for safety within 12 months of being installed and then an annual inspection must be carried out annually going forward. 

A copy of the safety check record or certificate must be given to the new tenant before they move in. The landlord also has to provide a copy of the new certificate within 28 days of the annual check.

We can arrange an inspection by a suitably qualified assessor for properties through the UK for £75.00.

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended)

Most new furniture is marked with a display label (a triangle with a smoking cigarette) to show that it complies with this regulation. There should also be a permanent and non-detachable label stating compliance. Bed bases and mattresses are not required to bear a permanent label but compliance will be indicated if the item has a label stating that it meets BS7177.

The aim of the regulation is to improve safety by requiring all furniture and furnishings in rented properties to meet the 'match test' or 'cigarette test'.

The regulations apply to all upholstery and upholstered furniture and loose fittings, permanent or loose covers including beds, mattresses, pillows, armchairs and scatter cushions.

You therefore need to make sure all items in your rental property comply with these regulations or you will need to replace them. Carpets and curtains are not covered by the regulations.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994

The regulations say that all electrical equipment that is supplied must be 'safe'. 

At the very least, landlords should check all appliances between tenancies for obvious signs that they are unsafe such as frayed wiring or badly fitted plugs. If you are letting a property for the first time, make sure that any electrical items in the property are new or are marked with the appropriate CE symbol. 

If users should be aware of any particular characteristic of equipment in order to use it safely, leave the manual or instruction book for the tenant.